Monday 3 November 2014

The Unbelievers (2013)

* ½ out of ****

Being a great admirer of both Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss, I had very high expectations for this documentary about their efforts to educate the public on the value of a scientific approach to life and the universe. To say I am disappointed would be a great understatement.

First, let me state that I am a fairly devout agnostic. I believe there is probably some kind of higher power, but am also extremely confident that none of the world's religions represent whatever that power is. I have truly adored Mr. Dawkins' books on evolutionary biology and find it impossible to believe that anyone that would read a tome such as “The Selfish Gene” could come away doubting that natural selection is easily the best explanation for the diversity of life on earth. His anti-theism is much stronger than mine, but that doesn't detract to me his provocative contributions to science. Krauss, whose theories I am not as familiar with but who I always find compelling and thought provoking, is also strongly anti-religion.

The film follows the two as they discuss and debate science and religion with each other and with some religious leaders (most prominently the Archbishop of Australia), which to me sounded like a real opportunity to create compelling viewing. Unfortunately, the film-makers decided to make it a one-way conversation, and almost a deliberate insult-fest directed at the religious. Points are rarely counter-pointed, which would be okay if the science behind their arguments was presented, but it never is.

I am all for the scientific approach, doubting everything and taking a “reason” approach to the world. A good friend of mine who is devoutly religious has described me (accurately, I think) as a “functional athiest”. I don't know if he meant it as a compliment, but I took it as one, as it suggests to me that I don't let anything but logic and reason affect my conclusions – pre-existing bias does not come into play. Unfortunately, that is not the case here – the film clearly is counting on a pre-existing bias. It is (pardon the pun) preaching to the choir. Nobody who isn't already leaning toward the reasoned approach will ever get anything worthwhile out of this film, much to my great disappointment.

Dawkins has made some truly wonderful TV documentaries for the BBC – unfortunately this one simply does not measure up. Poorly presented and lacking in the very subject matter it exalts, this is a documentary of lost opportunity. It could have been great. It's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment